Church – Stone Altar
The stone altar in the North aisle was discovered during the 1928 restoration work, buried beneath the West side of the North wall of the chancel arch. The sub structure is modern but the table top or ‘mensa’ itself may well be from the 13th century. It has some interesting features and apparently served as a lateral altar before the time of the Reformation, being situated near to where it was found under the ancient rood. It was no doubt buried when the order for the removal of stone altars was put into effect after the Reformation.