Church – restoration
Several mentions have been made of the excellent and extensive restoration work carried out about the year 1928 under the then Rector the Reverend E Marriott. The yellow ochre was removed as well as the ceiling over the nave, revealing the beautiful ‘waggon’ roof; all the box pews were removed and the rood loft stairway and light discovered. He also arranged the rebuilding of the roof boarding and its re-leading. Before he could complete the work he had in mind for restoring the West gallery, the roof, the screen and the chancel roof, he moved to become Rector of Blagdon. Much credit is due him for his effectiveness in genuinely restoring without spoiling it by trying to produce ‘improvements’.