Church – Chancel and North Aisle
The chancel is of a later date than the nave and may have been built by Symon Seward (Rector 1514 – 1558 as his initials and coat of arms are above the outside of the priest’s doorway. It has been restored at a number of different times. In the corner on the South side is a dainty trefoil-headed piscina which contains a shelf and bowl carved in the design of a Tudor rose.
In previous ages the whole nave and chancel arch had been lavishly subjected to the yellow ochre treatment. At one period the ladies at the Manor House personally undertook to scrape off the many coats on the chancel arch and arcade pillars. A few traces of it can still be seen on the East end of the first arcade column.
The North aisle was also probably built by Symon Seward, in this case by 1553m when the will of a local widow referred to the glazing of the windows in the ’new aisle’. On the floor at the East end of the aisle are several stones bearing inscriptions, a framed copy of one of which hangs on the wall nearby, in memory of the Thiery family who were influential people in the parish in the 17th century. Of particular interest is the memorial to Dorothea Thiery who died in 1788 aged 88 years. She lived to see 64 great grandchildren, 44 of who were alive at her death. Eight of her grandsons carried her to her grave. The Thiery family came here in 1650 as refugees from France at the time of religious persecution following the revocation of the Edict of Nantes of 1598 by Louis XIII. Nearly 300 years after the arrival of this family some of its members presented the church with a handsomely bound copy of the Order of Holy Communion bearing the inscription:
‘EXXLESIA . OMNIUM . SANCTUM
EX . DONO . POSTERORUM . FAMILIAE THIERRY
GUAE . OLIM. HABITAVIT APUD . HINTON-BLEWETT MCMXXIX’